Job Interview Question
How long would you expect to work for us if hired?
Purpose of the question:
The purpose of asking this job interview question, ‘How long would you expect to work for us if hired?’ is to ensure his/her availability, commitment and longevity in the company. The question can be asked purposely to know about the future goal of interviewee which tells whether it would be a good investment to employ him or not.
- How long would you expect to work for us if hired?
- Do you have any long term future plan in this company?
- How long would you stay with us?
Your Answer should be:
You must not answer it directly. Specifying a number can only reduce your chances of getting the job. There are few different ways to answer, but you must indicate every time the point that you have a long term plan to work for this company. No company wants to hire someone whom availability is doubtful for right from the start. They want to employ a person who guarantees a long term reliable service.You can mention that you love to face challenges and as long as the job offers it, you are there working for the company. Also, add that changing profession or company is not what you like to do. The question is more common to people who have the habit of changing job or location frequently.
If you have already worked in a company for 5 or 10 years, don’t forget to mention it as it shows evidence behind your speech and shows your loyalty to the company you were working for.
Some sample answers could be:
- “As long as we both are beneficial to each other, I don’t have deterrent to work for you”.“As long as my service is useful for the company, I want to work here”.
- “I have always been looking to establish and settle my career in a company where I will be challenged to take responsibilities and my good work will be appreciated. Here if I find those opportunities then I would definitely work for a long time”.
- “As far as I am concerned, the company offers some excellent opportunities for employers and has the capacity of providing a better career for employers like me. Thus as long as my talent is being justified, I would be available for working here”.
What should be avoided?
First of all, you never should mention a specific number of years. If you say, “I am here for short term”, it will not be an appropriate answer either. Your answer must be in brief about this and extend it with your future plan. If your answer is, “I did not decide it yet”, then it signifies the fact that you are unsure about your potential and careless about future plan.Key points to remember:Take a look at the sample answers and make your own. Do not memorize an answer and say like you had rehearsed. Just feel it and make it simple, well organized and meaningful. Always remember, you have to be a special one to knock out other applicants and grab the position.
Possibility of this question: 80%